Monday, March 31, 2008

Short story/update

So I am at my hotel in Jordan at the moment but I only have about half an hour of internet time. Not nearly enough to upload any photos or anything, but enough time to make a short entry.

I think the most amusing/horrifying thing that I saw was... Traffic. No kidding. I will do my best to describe what it is like. The first thing you will notice right off the bat (and this in Jordan too) is that traffic lanes are a suggestion. I don't even think any of my drivers made an effort to stay in one lane. Heck half the time we were half way into the oncoming traffics side of the road. This is justified by the fact that half the time you will be driving along on a two land street, and have about five lanes of traffic driving right beside you (it's very scary). And the second most interesting thing is the constant honking that ensues. In America you honk if someone cuts you off or if they almost hit you. In Egypt you honk if you want to switch lanes, you honk if you see a pedestrian, and you honk if you see a car in general.... Yeah, lots of honking.

I don't mean to offend Egypt but it's ruins and tombs are just about all it has going for it. With 22 million people driving around polution takes a whole new meaning. The smog is difficult to see through, and it makes the overall city seem... dirty. The Pyramids and such were amazing but the city will quickly get on anyone's nerves. More on this later, or when I get back (whichever happens first).


I should be on more when I get to Israel because I SHOULD have access to a laptop.

Later Guys.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Trevor! Your mom passed on your address. It's great to see you posting! I love the photo of the Pyramids. WOW! I've always wanted to see those before they turn to dust.

I know what you mean about traffic. I think the most dynamic driving I've seen is in Italy. Yowza!

Keep on writing!

Mrs. Kowal (yes, that's MRS. Kowal)
:-)